Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Don't Mock: Chipotle Chicken Wrap

This is my take on a new menu item available at a fast food conglomerate that shall not be named but golden arches are involved.


"Le horreur!", you cry. "Surely not! Why, isn't it against the International Foodie Rules and Regulations to even eat fast food, let alone fast food from (and your voice hushes to a whisper) there?"

A) Let's remember...I'm not a foodie and 2) when all you've eaten in a day is a Luna power bar and 3 cups of coffee and it's hours til dinner and you're on your way home and you are suddenly so hungry it's either pull into a drive-thru or chew off your own arm, yes, you do, in fact, eat fast food.

So I tried this particular little item and found it not at all un-tasty. It also begged for replication. My version is, of course, spicier and more loaded with veggies. And if you wanted to you could certainly forgo the flour-dredging-oil-frying method and use grilled chicken. You could even use poached chicken if you wished. You could add or delete veggies (some avocado on this wouldn't be out of line). That's the dandy thing about wraps...you can customize each one to suit the tastes of those you are serving.

Chipotle Chicken Wraps

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded about 1/4 inch thin and cut into strips
1 c. all purpose flour, seasoned to taste with ground cumin, chili powder and salt
olive oil for frying

1/2-1 head romaine, cut into strips
1-2 fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2-1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
sour cream

4 medium size flour tortillas (or whatever sort of tortilla you fancy)

1 c. of your favorite BBQ sauce (we happen to be fans of Sweet Baby Rays)
2-3 T. chipotles in adobo sauce (from a tin)

Pat chicken strips to dry and dredge in flour, knocking off the excess. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute until crisp and cooked through, 5 or 6 minutes.

While chicken cooks, warm the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan and mash chipotles into sauce, stirring to combine. (If you don't like too much spice, use a Tablespoon or less of the chipotle, to just get a bit of a smoky kick. If you are bold, use as much chipotle as you can stand).

When chicken is done, drain on a paper towel and arrange down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle each tortilla with the lettuce, tomato and cheese. Drizzle the whole lot with BBQ sauce and some dollops of sour cream. Pull up short end of each tortilla, wrapping the long sides into the middle.

The recipe given serves 2 adults. You can obviously adjust as necessary to feed as few or as many as you wish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first moved to Issaquah about a thousand years ago, wraps hadn't quite hit the scene. But I worked for a cafe that served them but called them 'strollers'. Ya know, cuz you could 'stroll' around with them, I guess.
I will certainly have to try this one! Yuh-hum!

Unknown said...

I seldom eat anything but breakfast at Mickey D's, but these wraps sound delish! I am gonna give 'em a try this weekend.

And at least you got a Luna bar! It's usually just the 3 cups of coffee for me betwixt my morning latte and dinner.

I have to confess to a love affair with Panda Express. If there were one in town, I'd be doomed.

Renee said...

Thanks for posting!
Phil is out of town this week, but I think I'll try them next week as a welcome home dinner since he loves anything with chipotle peppers,

Lorraine said...

"Strollers"...I like that, Hat.

You'd think that with nothing but coffee and a Luna bar I'd weigh about 118 about now, Gina. Not so much. What is up with that?

Let me know how the wraps turn out for you, Renee!